Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Check! It! Out!

Goal 31 - Get all papers filed.


BEFORE


AFTER

Well, okay, they're not really all filed unless you count moving all the extraneous boxes of mother-in-law documents into public storage at great expense, as well as the six boxes of old stuff I moved into the closet last year, and then throwing everything that's not glued down into other boxes and stacking them in the newly cleared space in the closet. But hey, it seems to work, at least for me. Now I guess I have to take the boxes out of the closet one at a time and deal with the contents.

So this goal is not actually accomplished yet. But hey, it sure looks better!

They say the best way to get your house in order is to throw a big party, which is what we did. I co-hosted a baby shower for my daughter, along with her mother-in-law. Since her mother-in-law lives out of town, we had to have it at my place, and I seized the opportunities afforded by this crisis, like Rahm Emmanuel says to.

Along with boxes of documents, I took all non-essential furniture to storage as well, and gave some of it away to our progeny who showed up for the baby shower. Yay for opportunities! Then we hired a cleaning company to come in and clean. Nothing like throwing money around in a situation like this. Fortunately I had a little bit to spare at the time, and I think it was money well spent. The place looks so great!!!

Bonus picture:



Happy Expectant Family (in clean apartment!)

8 comments:

Levi said...

Great job on organizing. The pictures are great. Loved the family picture especially.

It's so great to be of the wisdom to notice the opportunity in crisis. Who'd a thunk it?

Is this the first grandchild?

Miz said...

WOW that is IM-PRESSIVE.

Im launching my own clutterdiet next week as I fear being sucked into the papers and never found again.

Same question as POD: first grandchild?

solarity said...

Woohoo! Now you have room to actually sort the papers. And cake! I suppose the cake was really for celebrating the baby, but I think some cake, or maybe some fireworks, would be suitable for celebrating the neatness.
I didn't have to rent any storage--I can haz basement, plz?--but the same daunting task awaits me.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Melissa said...

Ah yes, Mary Anne, sorting the papers....hm.

YES to all, this is my first grandchild, though I do have a step-grandchild!

the Bag Lady said...

The place looks great! (I need to do that, too...)
And congrats on the first grandchild! You must be very excited.

Sbanfnyc said...

I think it all looks much better. And I live here! Melissa is a good un-clutterer when she need to be. Usually you are good at everything. Sure glad I found you.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Wow!

I'm so impressed. I sure wish that would happen at my house.

Magically.

Where's that damn fairy princess with her wand when I need her?

Levi said...

I seem to recall you writing this blog about goals. I better go back and see if slacking off blogging is one of those goals.