Sunday, January 4, 2009

My Jumpstarted January

Hey there all--my December of Discipline seemed to work, even though I was kind of half-assed about it! Things just got so hectic!

I jumped on the scale the other day, and I only gained two pounds, so I was thrilled. After I catch my breath and get back into the daily grind, I'm going to go back to the good fitness regime. I've learned a lot about the way I handle this kind of thing, and hopefully I'll remember it all when next December comes around!

#1 on the list: figure out to do with the Pecan Cake before you make one. My husband is only tepidly interested in it, because it's not meat, and the kids aren't around that much, being off on their own now, so I'm the only one who eats it, and it's a humongous cake! I'm just now finishing up the last of it! And I figured up the WW points, and it's somewhere around 6 to 8 per slice! Oog.

The culprit


To explain, the Pecan Cake is my great-grandmother's recipe, and Christmas is not Christmas without it. It's kind of like a fruitcake, except it has a lot more pecans in it and only raisins. Okay, and a little orange juice and a lot of Harvey's Bristol Cream--that kind of counts as a fruit. And butter and eggs and spices, etc. It's really, really good. But next year I'm either going to make it in three small loaf pans, or cut up the leftovers and take them to work or choir or something. I can't eat a steady diet of Pecan Cake like this! I'm amazed I haven't gained 10 pounds. (With a glass of milk it makes a very tasty breakfast. Or lunch. Or both.)

Breakfast


Incidentally, by popular request I made this cake for my daughter's wedding. Except I covered it in marzipan so it would look more bridal. I used to have a picture of it, but now I can't find it. >:-(

#2 on the list: PLAN AHEAD. I can't make wise decisions about what I'm going to eat or if and when I'm going to exercise unless I figure it out ahead of time. Menus for the week are a must. Or at least a day ahead! The parties etc. are not such a big deal for me. And the concerts and services are so exhausting, I don't feel like partying that much anyway. Doing Messiah twice and then Christmas Eve and Christmas Day--I think I lost five pounds during that week. Seriously. I'm convinced singing is an aerobic excercise.

Hope everyone's holidays were great! I'm looking forward to a great year!

3 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Too funny about the pecan cake. I'd totally eat the whole thing!

(The good thing about having a wife instead of a husband is you always get help when there's leftover cake!)

Levi said...

The cake looks delicious! I'm glad I'm not there to deal with it. I threw a tiramisu head first into the emptied out vacuum cleaner dust and I felt like a heroine in a novel about fat chicks.

Sbanfnyc said...

I've had 3 slices of the cake this yr. i'll have you know. I do like the cake, I just like meat cake more. Any cake with Beef Jerky in it would be my preference, but you know that already.

Thanks for the Jerky B-Day cake last yr.

I tried it plain and it was very nice with coffee. Melted butter on it was OK but a 1/4 inch of unmelted better was best as usual.

How do you want to plan the next weeks menu? Any Jerky dishes you want me to make?